Dump truck with AIREX® T92.100
Conventional dump platforms made of metal have some profound disadvantages. They are noisy, environmentally harmful, corrosive (steel), have a short service life (aluminum), are not very heat insulating and - they are heavy.
Martin Luinstra, Managing Director of Roelofs Kipperbouw BV (Netherlands) knew of the excellent properties of composites. Therefore it was only logical that the next "Kipper Fiby" was to be realized from composite materials - a novelty for the transportation industry.
The new dump platform is mounted on a Volvo FMX 8x4 chassis and is made of a fiber glass sandwich with a thick AIREX® T92.100 rigid foam core ensuring a high level of rigidity and excellent insulating properties. The sandwich was produced in an infusion process by a group of companies in Overijssel, Netherlands, while the AIREX® T92.100 core was manufactured in a thermoforming process.
The resulting weight savings were incredible: the new tumbler bridge is 50% or 2500 kg lighter than one made of steel. It was therefore possible to increase the carrying capacity by 2000 kg while fuel consumption for empty loads was reduced by 12%. The additional costs are amortized after two years; after seven years, savings amount to € 100,000.00.
Only one thing left to say: Martin Luinstra was absolutely overwhelmed by the performance of "his" new dump truck when it was on the road for the first time.
- Enormous weight reduction and a reduction of operating costs resulting from it
- Resistant against asphalt with a temperature of up to 200 °C.
- Suitable for asphalt, sand, gravel, rubbish, etc.
- More durable than aluminum, as durable as steel.
- Expanded action radius for asphalt transports (because asphalt stays hot longer)
- Lower loading temperature at equal final temperature of the asphalt (because the asphalt does not cool off as much)
- Fewer noise emissions
- No corrosion
- Largely maintenance-free
- Won the International Innovation Award at the JEC Composites Show